Friday, September 30, 2011

Star Play - PFF #49

  

This is a commissioned First Day Cover for Scott #855, Baseball Centennial issued in Cooperstown, New York, home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. The owner asked me to put art work on the cover from a Cigar box label, and I had several images to choose from. I thought it particularly pertinent as we leave September and enter October, leading up to the World Series. We just may see a few star plays, although since we don't watch television, I'll have to see highlights on the web.

My love of baseball goes back to a sand lot on which we played as youngsters, but I'm also a fan of old ball parks. In particular, Fenway Park in Boston. I had the pleasure of seeing a game more than several years ago between the Sox and the Athletics. It wasn't really much of a game, but I brought home a Sox cap that I break out about this time of the season. You never know!

Make sure you visit Beth Niquette's wonderful blog The Best Hearts Are Crunchy as she hosts another edition of Postcard Friendly Friday!

12 comments:

  1. Professional baseball season is coming to an end and the college baseball fall ball practices begin! Love your first day issue. More wonderful art work. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another brilliant cover. I love to see your art work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pleasing artwork! Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very cool!

    You might be interested in my post from April 2010. The murals I photographed are in a neighboring town.

    NoteworthyMusings

    In answer to your question about my Fri. Freebie, it's a flag pole at an inn - Columbia River Gorge. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know nothing about baseball, sorry to say, but I do love this cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed the mural. I'm always hesitant to include links because apparently that's a blogging 'no-no'. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed! You've captured the essence of the game quite nicely. I may have that same FDC...I'll have to check!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic cover. One of my to-do lists if ever I get the chance to visit the US is to watch a baseball game live. The atmosphere is just unbelievable and the crowd, insane! For now, I content myself with watching Major League baseball games via ESPN. I feel for the Boston Red Sox fans :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cover. Very fitting as we leave these boys of summer.

    I have a contest on my blog. Please drop by and leave a comment to be entered.

    http://sendapostcardaweek.blogspot.com/2011/09/where-to-send-this-card.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Mr Cachet,

    Thanks to the PFF Beth meme I'm gonna travel the world and learn a little more about a lot of things.

    I don't know much about baseball beside all I can see in the movies. But this card is so nice and sweet. I had another more violent idea of the base ball and with this card is another point of view that you shows me.

    Hope you'll come by mine too

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic illustration. I love how the postmark is inset into the artwork. That stamp is pretty snazzy too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great, Dave! I'm just getting caught up on a backlog of blog reading and got to this. As a baseball fan, fan of the game's history, and an old sandlot player myself, I really enjoyed this cover art. Oh, yeah, I used to collect stamps and FDCs as a kid, too. This one really struck a chord with me. Great work!

    ReplyDelete