Friday, March 25, 2011

Art Show Success PFF#39 Contest




 The Western Heritage Art Show was a success for me. It opened  Wednesday  the 16th at 7:00 PM with awards for the Lobby Show in which all sixty-two of us were allowed to enter one piece. I put the Pinned Ball Wizard in the lobby show, and hindsight tells me that I shouldn't second guess jurors, and I won't - next year. It wasn't a piece of Old Paper Art and probably should have been.

The rooms opened at the same time, and after being opened for ten minutes, I'd sold a piece. The same thing happened last year, when I sold a piece that I had included in  my ad in the program.


Thursday was just as good, and in fact the piece that I completed for the Quick Finish event  (a piece of mail art) in the evening sold for more than it sold for last year. The gentleman who purchased the piece brought it up to my room after the event and returned it to me. Charlie Russell's birthday was Saturday, and since I got my start by looking at his mail art over fifty years ago, I took it to the Russell Post Office on Saturday morning and had it canceled and then shipped it to its new home in Idaho.

Friday was another successful day in the room with two more pieces selling, and the piece I did for the Paint-Around in the evening sold for more than I thought it would. The event involved working with six other pieces and six other artists, with 10 minutes at the end of an hour to complete (or repair) your piece and frame it.  Below is a photo of me holding the completed piece before it was auctioned. I came in a disguise.

Fwench Awtist
Saturday was a big day for me. Two more pieces sold, but the highlight of the day was a visit from the author Jamie Ford that I posted about on Monday.

With the room open only from eleven until four on Sunday, I still managed to sell one piece. We were tired after being there until 10:00 PM every day, but I was wearing a big smile.

Now for the contest. 
The images at the top above are Thank You's for six of the pieces I sold.  I've posted about all of them, but not all of them are recent.  Add a comment to this post naming the titles of the blog posts for which these Thank You's were created. The first one to post the titles (or the dates they were posted) gets a piece of mail art. Happy Hunting! And make certain that you stop by The Best Hearts Are Crunchy where Beth Niquette hosts Postcard Friendly Friday. I'm sure you'll enjoy more postcard eye candy both old and new!

17 comments:

  1. What a fabulous contest--and what beautiful artwork, Dave. I LOVE your work. You are a true inspiration to me.

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS LOVE the story--and LOVE that disguise of yours. LOL The mustache is just fabulous. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even begin to enter your contest! glad you had a successful time, and Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great time and much success at the show. And how handsome you look in your disguise! Such wonderful art work, Dave. You mentioned in a comment about any paper pertaining to Hoosier cabinets (I think that is right) and if I had some. I don't, but if I did you would have it! I don't think I have any letterheads, statements, or anything vintage like that. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Forgot to add that the ATSF depot was on the very north edge of town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They must be a great 'thank you' to receive, my favourite is the Montana one, and your French disguise obviously:-) Congratulations on your successful show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are all wonderful, but my favorite is the Whizzer Motorbikes.

    Glad you had such success. Love your disguise. :-)

    That airmail envelope you mentioned at my art blog sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I found about three, but I've run out of time. All the same, it's been great looking through your old posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great success for you at the art show!Congratulations and well deserved for your stunning art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting with me today. I am glad I came to see a bit of what you do. very cool. I'll look forward to visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look so suave, so debonair, so like Salvador Dali!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's such good news, Dave. It's hard to be the artist and the sales rep - sounds like you killed at both! The live drawing events sound cool. Congrats on all the sales. It confirms what your reader fans already know - your stuff is great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful work!
    I'm joing Postcard Friendship Friday for the first time and I would feel welcome if you could give my post a visit. Thanks!

    Postcard Friendship Friday#1

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. I will indeed visit that webpage!

    I love your work--so, who won? Or is the contest still on?

    Have a fabulous PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like you did well and that's good news too. The envelopes you saw are my effort to get them all on the blog so since it is a new blog, meaning starting over, I am backdating them and none have comments unless you left one. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! what a fabulous post...a real bumper edition of your work. how wonderful that PFF brings us all together! congratulations on such a successful exhibition...

    ReplyDelete