Monday, September 21, 2009

The Holdup left the building


We did an antique show this weekend. One of my subscribers suggested that I let folks see it that already have a common interest in history, and he certainly wasn't far off the trail. We were fortunate to get a booth in a venue that had walls where we could hang my work. Instead of a four by eight foot table for a booth, we used a smaller table that I could put my portfolio on toward the front of the space. We added chairs, and draped an easel with several elk hides, and put my largest piece on the easel. My wife added a vase of flowers on the floor under the framed art, and next time we'll put them on a small and tall end table. It allowed potential buyers to get up close to my art work so that they could examine it closely. Many of those that we spoke to were convinced there was a trick to it, or that the images were originally part of the document. If they asked questions, it gave us the chance to do our part to correct wrong perceptions.

It worked.

Saturday afternoon we were approached by a couple who are Charlie Russell fans. They liked "The Holdup", and promptly purchased it. They also agreed to leave it hang until the show was over. It was an eye-catcher, and everyone who stopped to look at what I had on display spent time looking at this one in particular. Photos don't do it justice.

Oh yes - they get a THANK YOU.

4 comments:

  1. Good ideas, persistance and great execution pay dividends. Congrats Dave. Sales and exposure, it doesn't get much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Dave. Congrats, well earned success. May it grow and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great beginning. Putting yourself into situations where people with real interest show-up is key. Congratulations on your nice sale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have a couple of envelopes to post soon. Just found one of them this morning.

    ReplyDelete