Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It Fills The Bill --- Literally


This is another piece of old paper like the two Geo. Miller pieces I picked up from Mary Patterson, although this piece came from Stuart MacKenzie in Chinook, Montana. It has a similar back story. I had visited Stuart's shop twice looking for old paper, and while there several months ago, he brought me this piece and said "You should be able to do something with this one". I rejected it immediately as too ornate and fancy for me. Before I left that day, Stuart said "How can you beat this piece of paper? It has everything you need on it. Couldn't you put a straw hat on this"? I once again gave it a rejection.

I no sooner got home from that trip and I was perusing the Cigar Label Junkie site, and LO! What to my wandering eyes did appear, but a stork with a seegar in its bill! Not only that, but five minutes later I found another label with a Jolly Good Fellow wearing a straw boater.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at Stuart's again, and this paper was at the top of my list. So there you have it. I think I'm going to have to stop looking so hard for old paper and let the stork deliver it from now on...

And, yes - I enhanced the vignette a little bit.

4 comments:

  1. Dave -- another fabulous piece!

    I used to collecto cigar box labels - amazing artwork in just about every theme, subject, and style.

    Here's a link to a pic of a cigar label with a couple more birds in hats.


    Always a treat to see your projects --Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you saw it or not but the picture you wanted to see is on my old Brookville Daily Photo blog now sporting a new name for a while till I figure out what to do with it.

    I guess the cigar won. It is a nice piece I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will also be on Pick a Peck of Pixels in the morning. It is full size so when clicked it opens up to the larger size.

    Abe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would that seegars were still that price ... same as a loaf of bread back in that time, I guess. I always heard stories about nickel loaves of bread from my parents.

    Looking forward to seeing the other piece when it's done. A veritable stork of genius you had -:)

    ReplyDelete