Saturday, December 26, 2009

What They Received






Christmas is now in the past. This year I did art work for my brother, sisters and wife. A couple of pieces of mail art, two that went through the mail (under cover), and one that moved across the room.

My wife of thirty-nine years received a Parrot Confectionery box, and the Parrots (similar to a Turtle) came in a separate box because I made a shadow box of the original. I couldn't scan the box since all that I could see that wasn't in deep shadow was the top. My son, who bought himself a new Blackberry, took the photograph for me.

Judy, my youngest sister, is the quilter. She received a pattern for a tea cozy that looks like the cat on the envelope, besides the envelope that she can hang on the wall if she wants to do that.

Jenny likes Carousel Horses, so she got a piece of mail art she can put on the wall. Oh yes, and her favorite color is blue.

Dan, my brother, is the drummer and long-time collector of Drummer Boys. He also reads a lot, so he got three bookmarks that I made, laminated and added gold threaded tassels.

Penny, my oldest sister, acquired FIVE pieces of Cline Piano Company paper for me from our good friend Mary Patterson in Seattle. Since she found the paper for me, I thought I should make certain that the piano player in the family got a piece of piano paper to hang over her Wurlitzer.

I didn't get a stocking this year. ;o( But what I did get from sisters Penny and Judy was a book that contains Charley Russell's illustrated letters from the Museum collection, called Your Friend, Charley Russell. I have most of the books by or about him, but this one is special, because my folks took me to see this collection in 1953, and started me on the path of mail art that I'm still doing, even today.

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic, MrCachet!!! I particularly like the cat's tail as the first letter of sister Judy's name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all fantastic. I love the cat!

    It sounds like you had a lovely Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These looks quite cool. The cat one is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dave - when's your book coming out, that's what I'd like to know? In fact, I can see several books - a children's book, with cats and drummer boys and a grown up one with you amazing mail art - a sort of chronolgy of Dave Dube's envelopes from the day he first started sending amazing stuff through the post. I'm really glad to be able to count myself as one of those recepients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dropped in to leave a comment on your wonderful artwork and after reading Debs comment have to agree. A book which highlights the chronology of your art envelopes is a wonderful idea! She always does have great ideas, LOL! Love the chrissy pressies you have done! Nothing beats handmade and real thought and effort, especially when it turns out like this! Hope your christmas was wonderful and the new year even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, thoughtful gifts Dave and I agree with the comments about the book. Here's hoping that 2010 will be a happy and successful year fir you !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't these COOL?! The parrot's my favorite, but they all rock.
    happy happy to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the lucky recipient of the Cline piano paper, I must say that it is a GEM--beautiful overall, but up close almost unbelievable precision and detail. The best detail of all is the care you took to match each gift to the recipient. What a wonderful way to be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time to your blog. What beautiful art work. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All amazing. What great pieces to receive!

    ReplyDelete