Friday, October 23, 2009

Gummed! PFF #12


Before I knew that there was such a thing as a First Day Cover that had a cachet on it, I created a number of First Day Covers - with cachets! Montana celebrated its Centennial in 1989, and the USPS announced they would be issuing a stamp to celebrate that event in January. Since I had been putting art work on envelopes since I was a youngster, I decided to do some 'envelope art' and obtain the stamps, get them canceled, and save them for family and friends.

On January 15th, 1989, I went to the Post Office to get the stamps only to discover there were literally hundreds of people waiting to buy stamps and was told there would also be a ceremony at the Capital building later in the day. While waiting in line, the gentleman behind me asked me where I got my envelopes and I replied that I'd created them myself. He then asked if he could buy a couple, to which I replied "Sure". I sold them for $5.00 a piece, and it didn't take long for the word to spread up and down the line that I was selling decorated envelopes. Within twenty minutes I had no envelopes left to put stamps on, but I did remain in line and bought the stamps anyway.

The envelopes I was using had a gummed flap. First Day Cover collectors prefer envelopes that do not have gum on them as the gum deteriorates over time and discolors the front of the envelope. Within the course of the next year I learned a lot about what collectors do and do not want when it comes to envelopes!

Most of the covers that I did for this first issue all looked a lot like this one. I grew tired of doing the same thing over and over, so the lettering changed as well as the basic design. I discovered this one and another done in silver ink just last week - while looking through my huge paper stash.

Be sure to check out what Gummy Treats Marie has to offer for Postcard Friendly Friday, as well as everyone else who is participating today!

11 comments:

  1. What a talented artist you are! Sometimes it takes being in the right place at the right time. What a wonderful story! You are also a gifted writer, by the way. I enjoyed every word.

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should have hired you to do the official one. The people who got yours were very fortunate. What a collector's item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story about first day covers and your cover is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, that's how it all started? You simply walked in and stubbed your toe? Thanks for the history. Amazing what we fall into by accident, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is captivating! I can just imagine a pimply and gangly young you (makes the story better if you're awkward) hocking your enveloppey wares:)What a delightful beginning to a delightful career!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never knew that about the glue. Thanks for the heads-up on PFF. . . I met some lovely folks today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big business! I'm glad to hear you had the presence of mind to sell at a tidy profit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever done any of your art on postcards?

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great story to share! Very fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way drawing on envelops and old paper receipts has been a passion of yours for such a long time. When you love something it shows. Love your art.

    ReplyDelete