Thursday, March 22, 2012

Uneeda Biscuit Boy


In October of 2009 I was struggling to find paper. Although there was a lot of NBC paper available on eBay,  I was more interested in finding paper from their factory here in Helena. This particular piece was glued into a ledger which I examined over a year ago. It was the first piece of NBC letterhead I'd ever seen.

If you compare this piece with the Biscuit Boy I completed in 2009, you'll see that I wasn't as concerned back then about letting the printed portion of the document remain visible through my image. I'm going in a different direction these days. Although it's time-consuming to eliminate the printing where it interferes with my art, the results are well worth the effort. I don't know how long this will last. I'm using an ink eraser that was available years ago, and has now become a collectible. Any of you paper artists with suggestions, my ears are turned on.

I failed to identify the artist of this image in 2009. I started looking for more of the history, and I discovered an archived listing at Robert Edward Auctions that's worth the read. Although his name is misspelled in the lot description, his name was Frederick Stanley.

This is actually the first piece that I sold at the Western Heritage Artists show in Great Falls during Western Art Week. I didn't need the Biscuit Boy's rain slicker until we were packing up on Monday last to drive home. Good weather, despite the fact that we usually get snow around St. Patrick's Day. My paddle was in the water the entire time. I don't have a timetable for posting the rest of the art and the Thank You's that are going to be done. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm lovin' this version! Nice to see you back on the blog. Spring is finally here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piece! Years ago we had these electric erasers, a big hand-held machine that you plugged in. It took an 8-inch long eraser and the things really got warm after a while (and heavy). They were used to correct library catalog cards. Later on, the engineering firm I worked for had them, too, for correcting plans and drawings. Still being manufactured, although not as bulky as I remember.

    http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/831131/Staedtler-Electric-Eraser/

    Have you tried putting an opaque white layer (maybe tinted to match the tone of the paper) on the area to receive the illustration?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, I am just floored at the wonderful art you do. Wow! What a privilege it is to know you. I am so inspired. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another interesting post, Dave.

    ReplyDelete