Tuesday, July 14, 2009

CHOCOLATE Fishes


Wow. Wait 'til you hook this one.

This is a letter to Mr. Lundeen of the Mercantile in Fort Peck, Montana, inquiring whether or not he was aware of just how expensive it was to ship FRESH Dolly Varden Trout - from Seattle to Fort Peck - in 1937.

Have you ever heard of Swedish Fish? Have you ever heard of Dolly Varden Chocolates? Consider yourself duly educated.

I of course, went looking for Dolly Varden using Google Images, and guess what I found? A 1928 GMC delivery van with Dolly Varden Chocolate advertising on the side of it. And I'm not talking about "When Words Fail"...

Here's the sales slogan: "Chocolate Creams for the Girl of Your Dreams".

Now you get mine: "Chocolate Fishes for the Girl of Your Wishes".

What do you think? Would you buy a box of Chocolate Fishes from me?

After contemplating this one overnight, I remembered a post that Chuck Pefley had done a few weeks back about a chocolate shop on Pioneer Square. Now I just revisited that post, and what do I find but a whole school of picture perfect Sardines!

I now direct you to the Chocolate Box for Poissons de Chocolat and other fine Chocolate goodies. I will no longer attempt to sell you Chocolate Fishes.

8 comments:

  1. All news to me. I know I had to buy a first class plane ticket one time to send a book to be printed. I kid you not. It was before the airlines took packages or shipped packages for individuals. At that time only government contracts for mail etc. And, then I was going to Wisconsin and no other flights were going there except private passenger planes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NB: The butterfly in the banner is a butterfly and is named, "Painted Lady."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of Dolly Varden trout, but you really got me... hook, line, and sinker with this fishy tale of chocolate...and the link to Swedish Fish. My two favorite things! Nice research, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of Swedish fish, so I'll consider myself singly educated!
    Fun word play, lucky fishes and good wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are soooo going to kick yourself now. My hubby is a kiwi (umm, New Zealander) and guess what his fav chocolate from N.Z. is? Yup, you guessed, chocolate fish!!! You should have seen my face the first time I ever heard that title for a chocolate bar! Apparently they are super popular there and are a marshmallow bar covered in chocolate shaped like a fish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm and yes I think he would buy that box of chocolate fish, if only you would ship them to OZ! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had to read this one - it's about FISH! And chocolate ones at that. As you may have guessed I have a thing for fish so I appreciated this clever interesting post very much! You are delightful!

    ReplyDelete