Friday, May 20, 2011

More FREE Mail PFF #43

Free Frog!

This is old paper as well. Since I've been posting images of my envelopes sent to my wife (then my fiancée) while I was in South Vietnam over forty years ago, I think it's old enough.


This is another envelope that does not really meet the criteria for being sent free through the mail system, but I broke the rules back then instead of just gently bending them like I do today. I was asked by the military liaison at the Holter Museum here in Helena, Liann Meyer, to participate in an exhibition for current military and veterans during Military Appreciation Month. It officially ends on the 30th of May, but there is going to be a reception for all the artists (seventeen of us) and our families this Saturday afternoon, which is Armed Forces Day here in the United States. After getting a sneak peek earlier this week so that I could take photographs, I can't wait until tomorrow to meet the other artists.

This is one that I didn't include in the exhibit. I have put fifteen of them in a single frame, and included the First Day Cover that I did for Lee Nordahl in another smaller frame. I haven't counted the ones that are still in the album, but I've more than a few left to share.

Make certain that you stop by The Best Hearts Are Crunchy for more eye candy on Postcard Friendly Friday, hosted by Beth Niquette.

13 comments:

  1. I'm loving your Free mail (as I'm sure your wife did/does, too). I have a thing for frogs/toads. Love this! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Sounds like you're going to have a great celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time, Dave - I am sure your fellow artists are anxious to meet you, also!
    Love your work! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The elaborate background really sets off the art, who could resist a frog address, is that a case of "A frog who would a wooing go"

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOur envelopes are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOooh. My goodness. My dear Friend. Thank you for YOUR service in Vietnam. My beloved uncle Jody served in Vietnam. He did not receive the hero's welcome he deserved. He is in heaven--and I still miss him.

    I am so sorry about how you and other soldiers were treated after you fought so valiantly in Vietnam. I want to thank you for your defense of freedom--as I write this, teas flood my eyes. I'm just So grateful to you and to men like you.

    God bless you and your family.

    I love your frog, by the way. What a darling picture--it quite fills my eyes.

    I am so honored to know you. You are a wonderful person and an incredible artist. I mean that. Have a lovely weekend!

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I meant is that tears flood my eyes. They were in the way as I typed. Tch tch tch. (sniff)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool!
    Btw, Happy Armed Forces day to you and Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW amazing ART... I am sure everyone who touched your mail looked forward to the next! Thank you for your service, this is an amazing country and it is people like you that keep it the great place it is to live. Enjoy your reception!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool frog eh? Beautiful postcard. Mine is up - My PFF Entry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry I missed doing the rounds last week - and to think I missed this! A very great friend of mine served in Vietnam which brought it home to me, across the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dave, I really like seeing this envelope art you did 40 years ago, this one and the others you shared. thanks!!! lenna

    ReplyDelete